Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Opening Day - スズガモ (Bluebill)


I was able to make it out on opening day and managed to bring home a few Bluebill despite several glitches in my original plan. I didn't have my boat/blind due to a recent traffic accident and had to wade to my favorite area in high winds and fairly rough waves. I'm glad I started out in the dark, as I may have been too intimidated had I been able to see the conditions. I sat out the decoys and hunkered down in the reeds hiding as best I could. I was only able to hunt for a couple of hours, as the conditions worsened, and I didn't want to get stranded on the small island where I was hunting. The island lay about 120 meters from the coast and I only had about an inch of wader to spare as I floated the decoys back. Although I missed a few and didn't take a few shots that I should have, I had a great time. I cant wait to get my boat back on the water so I can stay out all day.

I jumped this mixed group about a week ago while out doing some recon. Hopefully the swarm will stay around for a while. Once the snow starts, the greenheads should move in, and these guys will be to wise to get fooled into my spread.

Stopped off at a mountain coffee shop to check out some chainsaw art. I'm no art major, but the $1000 they're asking for each of these masterpieces seems a little high.

The leaves finally changed in The Hakkodas. I took a nice tour of the mountains and was able to get some spectacular views. Also stopped in at Skaiyu Onsen for a soak in the area's only coed hot spring. Got some spectacular views there also. - Hanto

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Look at the blog "Beachcomber's Logbook" in 2010-11-24 ! → http://beachcomb.exblog.jp/
    Strange glass float named "snake skin" !

    ReplyDelete